Children today have the world in their hands thanks to the internet and technology. They can access everything they want, from cartoons to educational resources to games.
Having access to all the beneficial sources online is great. However, spending more than 2 hours a day on their Mac isn’t. It’s because it affects their physical health, especially their vision. Also, there is the issue of adult content they can accidentally come across.
Unfortunately, we can’t control the internet and what is found on it. But, we can use Mac parental control software to control which sites they visit and how much time they spend online.
But, is it really okay for parents to control their kids’ Macs?
The short answer is YES.
Parents should spy on their kids’ Macs to protect them, regardless if it’s to limit their screen time or monitor what they are watching. Unlimited access to the internet and possible exposure to harmful content make it essential for parents to keep an eye on their kids’ online activities.
In this article, we show the importance of using parental control software and the best Mac parental control software on the market.
- 1 Best Parental Control Software in 2022
- 2 How to Control Kid’s Mac with MacBook Spyware?
- 3 How to Set Parental Controls on Mac for Free?
- 4 Main Reasons to Use Parental Control Software for Mac
- 5 Conclusion
Best Parental Control Software in 2022
When looking for a simple yet easy-to-use Mac parental control software, you can’t miss HoverWatch’s Keylogger for Mac. This software monitors Mac devices, recording all activity on them. It records every letter and word typed and captures chats, searched terms, visited websites, and passwords. It also takes screenshots and saves all Facebook and Skype messages.
FlexiSPY is one of the most powerful MacBook parental controls available on the market. It comes with over 40 features to allow you a complete monitoring experience over your kid’s Mac device.
FlexiSPY allows you to track every word typed on the device and chats on various messaging apps and emails. It also allows you to monitor all internet activities, files transferred, and applications installed. Moreover, it allows you to track your child’s screen time, take screenshots, and remotely uninstall or deactivate software as well as change its features.
Qustodio is a promising parental control Mac that allows you to do much more than monitor your child’s Mac. It comes with some really impressive features, such as Smart Web Filters, Games & App blocking, and Advanced Social Media Monitoring.
This software allows you to block explicit content (even for incognito mode searches) and specific websites and apps. It also tracks screen time, monitors all activity on the device, and sends you alerts, reports, and SOS. Moreover, it allows you to set device usage time limits and locate your child.
Here’s another Mac parental controls app you just can’t miss. Coming from the well-known Kaspersky, Safe Kids software is bound to protect your kids even when they aren’t nearby.
Kaspersky Safe Kids comes with several great features that allow you to monitor their online activities and the time spent on their device. It lets you block access to harmful or inappropriate content, websites, and apps, including YouTube. More importantly, it notifies you if your kid tries to access any of them.
Additionally, it monitors their browsing activity, tracking all searched terms, videos, and social media platforms. It also allows you to set screen time and tracks your child’s location with its GPS feature.
Price: $13.49; a limited free version is also available.
How to Control Kid’s Mac with MacBook Spyware?
Mac parental control software makes monitoring your kid’s activities on their device a breeze. It does pretty much all the work for you, thanks to its numerous features.
While cellphone spyware’s features may vary from software to software, most of them come with the following ones:
- Calls and SMS tracking – Monitors all incoming and outgoing calls and SMS and provides you details about them, such as caller/sender info and SMS content.
- Email and chat monitoring – Monitors all emails and chats sent and received on your kid’s device and includes the sender’s information and message content.
- Keylogger – Saves every letter and word typed on the device, including messages/chats/emails, email addresses, contacts, and what your child searched for online.
- Screen tracking – Monitors and records the device’s screen, thus providing you with information on what your child has been doing on their device.
- Browser activity recorder – Records all internet activities, such as searched terms, sites visited, and videos watched.
- Social media monitoring – Monitors social media activities, including chats and calls done via those apps.
Some MacBook spyware comes with additional features, such as:
- Games and apps blocker – Allows you to block specific types of games and apps on your kid’s device.
- Screen time limiting – This lets you set a limit on the time your child spends on their device to make sure they don’t spend more than the allowed 2 hours per day.
- Smart web filters – Allows you to filter the content your child can access, which sites are forbidden, and more.
How to Set Parental Controls on Mac for Free?
To set parental controls on Mac for free, first, you need to create an account, a.k.a. Apple ID for your child. You can do that by going to System Preferences > Family Sharing > Add Family Member. Then, follow the instructions.
If you’re using macOS Mojave or an older version, you should do the following:
- Select the Apple menu
- System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family > Add Family Member
Then, follow the instructions.
Upon creating an account for your child, you can use the Family Sharing feature. This feature allows you to alter settings on your children’s Mac from your device for free.
To set parental controls on your children’s Mac:
- Log in to your Mac account and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Screen Time.
- Click the pop-up menu in the sidebar and choose your child’s account.
- Click Content & Privacy in the sidebar and turn them on if they are off.
- To limit access to web content, click Content > choose the options you want from the offered ones.
- To limit movies, apps, and TV shows, click Stores > choose the options you want from the offered ones.
- To limit access to apps, click Apps > choose the options you want from the offered ones.
- To lock some settings, click Other > choose the options you want from the offered ones.
Main Reasons to Use Parental Control Software for Mac
Some parents may think using parental control spyware isn’t okay because it ruins their children’s privacy. We understand their concern, but what about protecting your kids from harmful content on the internet?
What happens if you have older kids who know how to browse the internet and can access everything on it, and they get exposed to adult content while browsing the internet?
Is there a way to make them forget what they saw and how it affected their mental health?
No, there isn’t. That’s why it’s better to use parental control software and limit their internet access than wait for the disaster to happen.
What about small kids? Do you also need to use parental control software on their Mac?
Let’s say you have a small child at home who has only educational apps and games on their Mac and access only to YouTube for kids. You don’t have to worry about adult content in this case. But, what about their screen time?
Sometimes you can lose track of time and forget how many hours your child has been on their Mac. And, you surely didn’t count the time. In this case, having an app that tracks their screen time is what you need.
Our children grow up with Macs in their hands and have unlimited access to the internet. With that, there is always a chance to be exposed to harmful or inappropriate content. Also, they tend to spend more than just a few hours a day, getting lost in their online adventure and forgetting the real world.
The only way to make sure our children are safe while “hanging out” with their Macs and limiting their screen time is by using parental control software.
There are many cellphone spying apps available online, but not all of them are equal. To make sure you choose the best spyware, we have included the most reputable Mac parental controls. Make sure you check them out and read their features before deciding which one to choose.